2011年9月6日 星期二

Psychologist helps Westwood relax for major quest

A jovial Lee Westwood was cracking jokes and adopting a light-hearted manner ahead of the 93rd PGA Championship, relaxing after his first-ever consultations with a psychologist.

The 38-year-old Englishman, hungry to claim his first major title this week at Atlanta Athletic Club, consulted with psychologist Bob Rotella in hopes of finding the missing ingredient to finally bring home a major trophy.

"I haven't really worked with a psychologist at all throughout my career so it just made sense to go and consult somebody on it," Westwood said. "I think Bob is regarded as the best."

World No. 2 Westwood has changed his attitude entering this major compared to past ones, adopting a less pressured tone even though his desire has not dimmed for major crowns.

"A lot more light-hearted, relaxed. Difficult to put into words really," Westwood said. "Try and play the tournament like I don't care, really.

"It's working. The light bulb has gone on."

Along those lines, Westwood said he wants to improve on his putting this week by not trying so hard.

"You will see a routine that I am comfortable with but you will see me not trying," Westwood said. "There are no words in the English language to articulate it any better. I've been trying to think of some but I can't."

Among the targets of Westwood's jokes was Chubby Chandler, his manager and the manager of the year's three prior major winners - South African Charl Schwartzel at the Masters and Northern Irishmen Rory McIlroy at the US Open and Darren Clarke at the British Open.

Chandler has said he hopes Westwood is the one of his clients who completes the "Chubby Slam" with a PGA title.

"I'm not impressed with his (Chandler) preparation," Westwood said. "I've seen him drinking a bit. He's not in the gym. Haven't seen him on the range yet. I wouldn't hold out much hope for him.

"He doesn't function well in the heat. He drinks a lot, but not water, unless you count tonic water."

Westwood has finished in the top three at six of the past 14 majors, including runner-up efforts at last year's Masters and British Open and thirds at the 2008 and 2011 US Opens, the 2009 British Open and the 2009 PGA.

Asked about the notion he might be the best player never to win a major, Westwood poked fun at himself in reply.

"It's good to be the best at something I suppose," he said. "I suppose it's a compliment in a way. At least I'm good at something."

Westwood has tried to calm himself when it comes to such labels and enjoying the challenge of winning a major without being overwhelmed by the pressure and tension attached.

"I've done all the hard work now, done it for 20 years," Westwood said. "It's time to just relax and let it flow.

"You can get yourself into the position but when you get into those positions just enjoy it and have a free and clear mind and play like it doesn't really mean anything, just laugh it off really, and try to have fun out there.

"That's the mentality I'm trying to get back to."

Westwood imagines himself playing like his son facing a 10-foot putt at the Par-3 Contest played on the eve of the Masters.

"He wasn't thinking about whether it was square or taking it back far enough," Westwood said. "That's just how kids do and that's the mentality I'm trying to get back into with my golf, just kind of free wheeling."

Westwood shared 44th at the 2001 PGA Championship played at the same Atlanta course, but was shocked when told he had made the cut a decade ago.

"I made the cut? Really? You sure?" Westwood said. "Shows how much attention I pay."

Showed he had indeed made the cut, Westwood amended his reply: "I played nicely in 2001, shot a couple of 68s, really loved the course. Good memories."


View the original article here

沒有留言:

張貼留言