2011年3月26日 星期六

The oldest joke in the world?

Bookmark and Share
By Tony Grew - 18th March 2011

Therese Coffey has had a good day - her private member's bill has moved on to the Lords with government and opposition backing.

It implements the Nairobi International Convention for the Removal of Wrecks (ICRW) into British law.

However, nothing can forgive this joke, which she opened her speech today with.

"I will open with a quick question. What do you find lying on a seabed shivering? The answer is a nervous wreck. Perhaps I am a bit of a nervous wreck because I finally get to speak to the Bill that stands in my name."

Another Coffey fact was referred to by shadow minister Jim Fitzpartick during the short debate on the bill.

"She said in her maiden speech, which I read yesterday, that you, Mr Speaker, had given her training in public speaking some years ago," he told the House.

"Clearly it has paid off, because she did not come across as the nervous wreck that she joked about."

Minister Mike Penning, a former firefighter, also got in on the act.

"I did not get elocution lessons or speaking notes from you many years ago, Mr Speaker," he said.

"Perhaps I would have done as well as my hon. friend the member for Suffolk Coastal (Dr Coffey) did a few moments ago if I had."

Well done Therese - but better jokes in future please!

Bookmark and Share

View the original article here

沒有留言:

張貼留言